How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 76074
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was in contact with a 16 year old girl via social media,

This answer was rated:

I was in contact with a 16 year old girl via social media, phone and texting. It was a genuine friendship, however, her mother raised some serious alegations against me which led the police to speak with me informally. This is 2 months after we stopped talking. The police have handed me a CAWN tostay away from her, at the time, I had no idea what it was and not I am looking for ways to remove this notice from my records as I am wanting to get into teaching, and having this on my record, this could have a negative impact for my future for something I never comitted. How can I go about getting this CAWN revoked / removed from my record?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Jo C, I’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

How old are you?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
i'm 39 years old and no nothing hapened between us. it was a friendly chat, nothing more.


Thanks for the information and the time.


I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.


I am afraid you cannot remove a CAWN. It is not a finding of guilt. It is no more than a police notification of the dangers largely actually to protect you not her.


In fact, it is a police mechanism of diverting allegations away from prosecution.


It means no more than that you cannot make further contact.


A better option would be to pursue the false allegations.


I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.


Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.



Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for your honest answer and this is what I want rather than sugar coating the truth.

What can I do in terms of "A better option would be to pursue the false allegations" because obviously, I'd like to clear my name?

Thanks you again for being honest.

Do you know what the mother alleged?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Yes, I do and they are as idiculous as they sound, the police never told me what they are, but they girl has. The mother also contacted me via social media and made indirect threat and the allegations. My response was polite and respectful as I understand her concerns and I told her that what she was told is not true.

What were they?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
What I was told by the girl is "That I sell her for phsyical contact with other men for £20" that's what I was told by the girl. Her mother however just told me to keep the f**k away from her daughter and she knows people, whatever that mean but I saw it as an indirect threat.
I obvioulsy did not do any of that and I had no phsyical interest in the girl as she has / had a boyfriend at the time and he was around my age which her mother approved. This is none of my business of course.

You do have the option to get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of defamation. That would only cost about £100.


The difficulty with suing is that we don’t really know quite what the mother has said. She must have said something but defamation is a very expensive action and she probably can’t pay it anyway.


A solicitors’ letter might well resolve this.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok, I found out later when I was talking to the police that thegirl is in local authority's care and not with her mother. Also, the police never said that there are any accusations against me, so a case like this is left in the dark and they have not said anything to me, this has taken place 7 months ago. I am here to try and clear my name for my future career change as I am wanting to get into teaching, and this being on my record would impact it negatively.

You can apply for anything that is held upon you but seeking your own DBS checks.

You need to avoid young women like this. They are always trouble and always the first to pretend to be victims and throw the blame on you.

Find yourself normal friends who aren't bouncing off the walls and dont place you in this position.

Jo C. and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you - it was a mistake that will never be repeated.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile