Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been self employed, in retail, for 18mths, i didn't

I have been self employed, in retail, for 18mths, i didn't make any profit in my first year, will i qualify for the coronavirus grant, thankyou.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, i don't know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My business is a small greeting card shop i have 2 part time employees and i work there part time myself

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou that's fine

Can I just check, what does your business provide?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Greetings cards and gifts

Thank you. The scheme is only those who have submitted a tax return for 2019. However, those who did not submit their tax return by the due date of 31 January 2020, and have not yet submitted one, can still submit a tax return for 2019 for a further four weeks from today. The good news is that there is nothing for you to do to claim the grant – it is something HMRC will determine and you will be contacted automatically by them so you just have to wait and see if you qualify.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes thankyou, do my 2 employees have to claim the 80% of their wages themselves

No, you claim that on their behalf. You have to furlough them first and they cannot do any work for you in the meantime. You would then claim from HMRC but the process has not been clarified yet

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou

All the best