How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2595
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I am a landlord and I have tenant living in my loft. The

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord and I have tenant living in my loft. The tenancy agreement is coming to an end this month. I give her a letter to say that I am taking back the rent to it original price and and increase of 50 pounds starting the 1st April and if she is not have she need to give me one month notice. But she refused to moved out and refused to pay the increase. What can I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leyton EO
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have give one month notice to leave because she is creating a problem which is the 31st of this month so can can I do if she do not pay the full 750 rent on the 1st April
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know what is my right if my tenant do not pay the full rent

Hi thank you for your question.


In the tenancy comes to end then this becomes a periodic tenancy, the tenancy would still have the same rights as in their previous tenancy agreement. Unless the tenancy agrees you cannot increase the rent, therefore your best option would be to serve a section 21 notice on the tenancy and ask her to vacate the property once it expires, you would then to need apply to court for an order of possession and then get bailiffs if required to evict the tenant.


However due to the current situation with COVID-19 court hearings regarding eviction has been suspended for the next 3 months, it would only be once the courts allow a possession hearing to commence that you would be able to obtain a possession order and then evict the tenant. In this case however i would recommend that you keep the rent as it is and then once the situation changes you can the server the section 21 notice on her and ask her to leave.


I hope this answers your question, if so please provide rating and feedback.


Kind regards

UK_Lawyer and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
That you but am I not allowed to increase the rent