SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I recently applied for a new job and was successful. I

Hi, I recently applied for a new job and was successful. I signed a contract and completed all the formalities. I resigned from my existing job and my last day was Friday 20th March. I have received my P45. I was due to start my new job on 6th April and now am told that they will need to delay my start date due to the Coronavirus. However, they are not sure if I would be an employee who would qualify for 80% of my wages. I have paid tax all my life from the age of 17 and am now 54. I am unsure what to do and would welcome some advise please.
JA: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, my new employers are currently contacting a Solicitor for advice, but this has been a couple of days now and I am getting anxious.
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am an employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so...I just need to know if I also qualify for the 80% of my wages. P.s. My previous employers would not reverse my resignation as they had processed my P45. However, they made an error on the P45 and I had to ring them to get the rest of my wages.

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience

Is the new emplo

You signed your contract which is now binding between you and you employer. You will not have accrued any leave so they may opt to say you take unpaid leave for a certain period and if they do require you and do not wish to hire different person once the pandemic is over they could furlough you with the rest of the employees in which case you would get the 80% pledged by the government. You have not started work with them yet so unfortunately if they are not able to retain everyone for when they reopen you are likely to be one of the employees who will have to be laid off. In which case you will regrettably have to apply for universal credit and any other benefits you may be entitled to depending on your personal circumstances. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Many thanks for your response, this has been extremely helpful.

You are welcome. all the best

Also, I'll check back in with you in 6 days on 4/1/2020. I can also answer any additional questions that may arise. Don't worry, there's no additional fee for this follow-up.