Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

5 year old son caused slight damage (scratch) to neighbour's

Hi! 5 year old son caused slight damage (scratch) to neighbour's car. I'm happy to pay for the repair. Neighbour wants BMW to repair it, whereas I want to book a cheaper option. Do I have the right to choose who repairs?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Uxbridge
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is Ross and I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.

please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

Is there any particular reason he would like BMW to do the repair, also have you been given a price comparison between your quote and BMW's?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Ross. I can only guess the reason is he believes he gets the best service from them. This only happened an hour ago, so no price comparisons yet

Thank you. so the first thing you are going to want to do is get your own quote from a reputable person or garage. Then see what his quote is from BMW. You will also want him to show a copy of his quote. There is always the chance they will be about the same or even possibly less! However, if he provides you with a quote which is substantially more than yours then you can say that you are happy to put the value of your quote towards his payment. E.g. you bet a quote for £100 and his is £200 then you can offer to pay £100 towards his £200 bill. There is no "law" surrounding this and if he didn't agree with this approach he would have to take you to small claims court to get the extra £100. That would be an overkill response to this situation. However, I would advise that if you do this then you have acted reasonably as long as you use a reputable person. However, you may be surprised and find that BMW's quote is cheaper than a private garage. I hope this has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Ross

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Ross for your kind support, much appreciated!

You are very welcome. I hope that you and family are safe during these very difficult times.