How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15853
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have been issued a single justice procedure notice for

This answer was rated:

I have been issued a single justice procedure notice for refusing to pay a penalty fare issued by First Great western. In their statement they say I was issued with a copy of the notice in the day this is incorrect. I refused to take the notice because having provided a change of name deed as proof of my identity, the inspector proceeded to issue the notice in my former name. I could not receive it and M pleading not guilty.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi, is my not guilty plea likely to be successful


The prosecutor will still simply apply to amend.

Just because the date is wrong does not invalid the whole thing

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I issued a change if name deed as proof if my identity but the the inspector ignored this and proceeded to issue the penalty fare in my former name. I refused to accept this, as I have fine through a legal process requiring everyone to refer to me by my new name and have completely abandoned to the use of my former name
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Lots of spelling mistakes there, sorry, I'm typing in my phone but hopefully it's clear! Thanks

Yes, they can just simply amend. I understand the name change.

It does not invalidate.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, they will reissue the fare in my correct name, even though they refused to do that? But the first fare issued is invalid?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry, but no it does not clarify
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How would that work now it's gone to caught, I'm not settling this outside of court
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I feel I was place in a difficult situation legally, being forced to received a fare addressed in my former name despite then seeing the change of name deed with details of my new name

Yes. If it goes to Court, the prosecutor will simply AMEND

You are the same person. You are not a different person.
That means they can amend it, if necessary

Does that clarify?

You are trying to get out of it because the name is different.

That defence will fail sadly.

I am sorry

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Even though the change of name deed states clearly "I authorise and require all persons at all times to desigate, describe and adress me by the adopted name of [new name]" ... could I get a criminal record then for refusing to accept the fare addressed to me in my former name


You are the same person.

Its not as if its your friend.

I am sorry, but I have a duty to tell you the truth.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks, last question, I should have taken possession of the notice despite the inspector ignoring the change of name deed?

It makes no difference in reality.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
So the fare could be issued in any name, as long as it's given to me?


I could call myself Borris Johnson.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry, I want to wrap this up but I'm confused. If you go through a legal process to change your name to Borris Johnson by deed pool and offer proof of that, the revenue inspector can simply refuse to follow the instructions on that deed and issue you a ticket in a different name, and you would have to take that?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I offered proof to the inspector on the day


Does that assist?

It does NOT invalidate the ticket or summons

Does that help?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks. Yes

Can I assist with anything else tonight?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there any case law, or legal spiel I can refer to? No worries if not

Sadly not. You can guy Archbold which is the Practise book.

Does that assist?

Jamie-Law and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok, many thanks