Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I'm a self-employed courier contracted to a Heathrow airport

I'm a self-employed courier contracted to a Heathrow airport airfreight forwarder and experienced what I think was victimization and reported to a manager... Since then I've been victimized deeper and told my services were no longer needed
JA: Was this victimisation issue discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Looks like there's no HR at this particular company....I approached a line manager,
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: There are warehouse employees and office staff but am a driver with my own van subcontracted to deliver on their behalf on a commission
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: After comparison of happenings I raised a racist issue hoping to get help but nothing was done in that regard

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How were you victimised? Please note it is extremely busy at present due to the ongoing situation so there will likely be a delay in replying, but I will get back to you at some point today. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the day's manifest which tells a driver his day's various destinations and I queried the routing of my run. The shift manager understood what I was trying to explain and took off some of the jobs I had queries with. I agreed to do whatever had remained but getting into the warehouse some of the remaining jobs could not be located and went back to the same managers to explain the development. We pay for our own fuel costs so I was telling him with what remained it was not worth me doing all the distance with so little work. He took off the paperwork from me and told me not to come in the next day.
I felt it was unfair and emailed a more senior manager with my situation and he said it was ok going back in the next day but it was never to be.... The other manager insisted I stay at home for a whole week (as punishment) . I came back to work after the week and ironically another driver had a situation much like mine, not enough work and he went back home....he was allowed back in the next day. It reached my ears and I raised it with the management why they would treat us so differently and I mentioned a racist tendency and it didn't go down well with them.... They told me to stop coming to work as they had launched an investigation....I thought I would be consulted during the said investigation but it never happened and today they emailed me telling me they don't need my services anymore siting Covid slowdown and none of what I raised.

Ok just to clarify – victimisation is when you have or were about to make an official complaint about discrimination due to a protected characteristic, such as gender, age, race, religion, disability. The employer has then penalised you or treated you detrimentally because of this complaint – that is what is victimisation. Has this happened here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's ok...I guess you will not proceed with the£44 call charge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think what I went through is clearly covered in your description above...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started off by calling it victimization but progressed to racist because there was another incident to compare with a week later

Thank you. Even if you are self-employed you still have protection against discrimination, which is covered under the Equality Act 2010. It states that a person must not be treated detrimentally because of a protected characteristic, which includes race/nationality. Victimisation is what I described above, where you are penalised for having raised or trying to raise a discrimination complaint. So you can consider pursuing a discrimination claim against the company and/or people who were guilty of the discriminator behaviour. However, as you are self-employed you cannot do this in the Employment Tribunal and would have to do it in the County Court.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm very much answered and wish to pursue it further through the courts like you are advising. I have my evidence in the form of emails and despite me calling for a round table discussion/meeting it has fallen on deaf ears. How do I start the County court proceedings is my next Question, please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm completing the form but can't submit it.....or shall I print and put in the post

Oh it’s not an online form you have to send it to the court

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help

All the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Ben. Now that I have downloaded the N1 form do I just walk in at the court or I have to put in the post? Do I attach supporting documents like emails?

It would be posted and you do not need to include documents yet, that comes at a later stage, you will be instructed by the court about it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to come back to you a bit late. The form requires that I put in a money value to the claim.... Which I can't say I know or the value of the damage....can I leave that blank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then there's a legal representative firm....do I send the papers to you for that signature?

Hi for the monetary value you have to put the value of compensation you are seeking. You would need to determine approximately what you are after to claim it. As to legal representatives we are not representing you so you cannot mention us – that is only if you have formally engaged someone to represent you which you have not done so leave it blank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you....from your experience what's the range for court fees, please?

These depend on how much you are claiming…

Have a look at EX50 which is the document with court fees – just Google for it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the first thing would be to establish the fact that there was harassment/segregation/victimization then the court decides on the figures

you still have to claim for something to start with based on what you are claiming for – after all, your position is that these things have happened and then eventually the initial figure can be adjusted as necessary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw a deduction of £40 from my bank which I think it's a membership fee. I do not wish to have this please.....if I can please unsubscribe if I did by default

Hi please go into your account to cancel the membership and also I will send a message about it to customer support