Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have issues with my current and previous property

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have issues with my current and previous property management , i live ion a share flat and I have given notice and I am due to move out on the 23/05/2020 but the current property management is disputing that and said because I have always paid my rent on the 13th so i have to move out on that day, and also he has given me notice that he is handing over the property to the landlord on the 22/05/2020 . I've explain to him that I moved in the property on the 23/04/2019 and I have paid two week in advance prior to me move-in and there was broken furniture like bed and other things that the previous management had to take away from the room before I move-in He told me that i should contact my previous property management for my deposit and the previous management is not responding to my calls and messages
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have try to contact the previous management for my deposit but no response and the current property management come today and started harassing me knocking at my door telling me i have to live on the 13/05/2020
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel harassed and the property in showing up in the house without giving notice
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I am the only one living currently in the property due to his poor management. I would like to know if my rent cover from the 13th-13th of every month when i paid my usually paid my rent or does it cover from the day the room was made available to me and I move-in date on the 23th. Can i sue the property management for harassment coming at the house without any notice and knocking at my door continuously demanding I should come out of my room to speak to him and saying he is holding up my reference for the new property that I want to move in.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.