31090051

I hope you're well. we are in London area, however it's a

Customer Question

Good morning , I hope you're well .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: we are in London area , however it's a negligence case against a Scottish law firm
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have spoken to the law firms customer relations person , who has looked at the file , he however said they've done everything by the book, we think otherwise
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the cost of this connection please?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'D like to ask from what point, and how long after the solicitors we used in Scotland stopped working for us, can we use another solicitor to claim negligence . Ive heard 5 year's ?And can we use an English solicitor to do this , as we are now in the south of England .
Expert:  JGM replied 18 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Can you explain your situation a little more please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. It was a divorce case originally, no children involved, only property . The firm we used delayed in looking into matters that we stressed were paramount to the settlement. At no time did the solicitor call my partner in to explain anything, so when she was asked to come by on a Friday afternoon to sign a form ( just a form ) nothing to read through , she discovered the following week that she’d signed away everything to her ex husband. Estate was valued at 750,000 . We feel that negligence is involved here .
Expert:  JGM replied 18 days ago.

Thanks. You need to have this in court within 5 years of that meeting otherwise the negligence claim will be time barred. As this is a matter of Scots law you will need a Scottish solicitor to deal with it for you. The Law Society of Scotland can put you in the direction of a solicitor experienced in professional negligence claims. www.lawscot.org.uk I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks is that 5 years from the end of business from the solicitor involved or 5 from the complaints, which was a year later
Expert:  JGM replied 18 days ago.

Five years from the negligent act or the date upon which you knew or ought to have known that you suffered loss as a result of the negligent act. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.