JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have a CIFAS marker following some stupidity on my part.

Hi, I have a CIFAS marker following some stupidity on my part. Can you help get it removed?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Found out that I have a CIFAS, nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this stage

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a qualified lawyer happy to help you today.

You will need to make a formal complaint to the organisation which registered the CIFAS marker against you - if they uphold your complaint they can remove the marker. You need to detail why the Cifas marker was unwarranted. If they reject your complaint then ask them for a final response letter (a "deadlock" letter) and then you need to escalate the dispute to CIFAS themselves who will do an independent review of the case. The address to write to is :

Cifas
6th Floor, Lynton House
7-12 Tavistock Square
London
WC1H 9LT

That should take no longer than 14 days to complete. If CIFAs agree with the bank, you would have to escalate it to the Financial Omudsman Service (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk) who can review the evidence and they can order the CIFAS marker to be removed.

If the above does not work then the marker will come off in any event at some point over the next few months.

I hope this answers your question – if so could you please click 5 stars at the top of your screen, that will give me a rating on the site and I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jim, thanks. Unfortunately the marker wasn't necessarily unwarranted and due to stupidity and desperation on my part. Is there anything I can do? I have heard the marker can last for 6 years

Yes, it can last for up to 6 years in total, you can still apply for a basic bank account but if it's due to you and not the company's fault then there isn't much you can do. However you can try http://www.stepchange.org - which is a free to use debt charity and they may have other ideas about the cifas marker, so well worth asking them