Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I had a few questions about my consumer rights after the

I had a few questions about my consumer rights after the usual 14 day cooling off period
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: As in the country?
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The have contacted the company but have not had a response as of yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: UK laws

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What is your specific question? Please provide as much information as possible

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Ben. So back in December I bought an online course package from a company called e-careers for about £3200 paid in full. The way the package works is that I do each course one at a time, do the exam then they will release the next course to me after I have redeemed the voucher code they give me to activate the license for the next part of the course. Currently I am only on the first course on the package so I have not had full access or redeemed anything else on the package. My issue is that the course is not what I expected and I am not happy with it. I decided to give the course some time to get used to but I still feel the same way. Now I am intending to finish the first course but hopefully cancel the rest. The question I had is, is am I still within my rights to request a partial refund on the rest of the package due to being unhappy?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The company has a 14 day cooling off period for full refunds but my argument is that how could I have really found I was unhappy within 14 days? With things like online courses you need to take time with them to see if you really like them
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have tried to contact the company but got a robotic response instead. I am going to see if I can call them to discuss the issue but my support manager hasn’t got back to me yet. I just wanted to know if I have an argument from a legal standpoint before I speak with them
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I understand that it’s been almost 6 months but seeing as the courses are released one at a time, I feel as though it’s not a crazy suggested to ask for a partial refund on the courses I no longer want to do anymore
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I wasn’t sure if the consumer rights act still holds up in this situation

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. What you have suggested is entirely reasonable, although it would depend on how closely related each module is so that they cannot argue you would have been able to decide from the release of the first one, that it was not suitable altogether.

The issue is that you cannot force them to agree to this interpretation and if you cannot come to a suitable agreement, you will have to challenge them in the Small Claims Court. The positive is that this is not an expensive or risky venue and even if you lose you will not be liable for their legal costs.

If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can do so by making a claim in the civil courts. As legal action should ideally be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve lawyers or the courts. These can be summarised below and it is recommended the following procedure is followed to try and progress this matter further:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time, usually 7 to 14 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the compensation in question. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed a copy will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. Once they are aware that legal proceedings have commenced it may also force them to reconsider their position and perhaps prompt them to contact you to try and resolve this.

As a final tip, it is always advisable to keep copies of any correspondence sent and received as the courts would like to refer to it if it ever gets that far.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Ben thank you very much for your response. I really appreciate it and that has made things clearer for me. Would it be possible to get back to you if i have any further questions once i have spoken to the company? Thanks again

Yes of course

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi , I just had a few more questions/concerns. Because obviously the 14 day cooling off period is well over, does this likely mean that I am bound to the terms and conditions of the company and that getting a refund for the rest of the courses would be unlikely? In these sorts of situations, would it be the companies discretion/good will if they wanted to grant me some sort of reimbursement after it being 5 months after the purchase was made? The main reasoning for wanting to cancel the rest of the courses was due to the fact that I am unhappy with the way the course is structured and as a student i am finding it difficult to engage with it. I am just worried that they will just turn it around on me and say i've changed my mind so therefore im not eligible to cancel the rest of it. Im not sure if in this situation I have any hope but of course I understand I will need to speak with them and follow your guidance before I can know for sure. Thank you

You would initially be relying on their goodwill indeed but if you are not satisfied with the outcome that is when you would have to challenge them legally as mentioned above. Ideally you would want to resolve this directly with them but as mentioned the risks of claiming are not that high due to the limits on costs you may be responsible for