SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Advocate
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

We are importing PPE into the UK from China, for providing

Customer Question

We are importing PPE into the UK from China, for providing to a Large supermarket we want to add our logo to the packaging, but some one has said we need CE accreditation. Is this correct?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Euorpe
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, thats it
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 12 days ago.
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.If you are providing surgical masks for medical use then you require a CE marking.But you have advised that you are selling general masks to a supermarket. They are therefore not medical and do not require the CE marking.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/regulatory-status-of-equipment-being-used-to-help-prevent-coronavirus-covid-19#face-masksYou will however need the office of product safety to verify the masks. More info at the link below.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/opss-coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-for-business-and-local-authoritiesKind regards,
S
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
sorry, the masks have CE from the manufacturer (they are IIR medical mask), but we are sellign to a supermarket. but when we add our logo to the packaging, I have been told that our compnay needs to be CE certified, I though it would just be the company producing the goods needs to be CE (even though our logo is on the box), we could have supplied by....
Thank you for clarifying.The product needs to be CE certified but the logo itself does not. If you wish to add your logo, you are entitled to as long as your agreement with your supplier does not prohibit it.Kind regards
S