JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

A landlord is taking us to court of non payment of student

A landlord is taking us to court of non payment of student rent during Covid 19 even though my daughter had vacated the premises. He is threatening a CCJ - will we have an opportunity to pay after the courts decision before a CCJ is applied for?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: We have had a formal letter to say they are taking us to court unless we pay within another 7 days
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Nottingham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, this is Jim and I’m a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

Yes, assuming you lose, the CCJ is to be paid within 14 days otherwise the landlord can enforce it with bailiffs. If it is paid within 30 days from the date of court judgment then it will not be registered at credit agencies. Once made and you pay in full then a certificate of satisfaction needs to be filled out and sent to the court (see attached).

If he does take you to court and issues a claim, it will not be decided for at least 6 months assuming you defend the claim. Probably longer - due to the pandemic.

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), the question will stay open and any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We would pay after the judgement but would it automatically be
a CCJ? We obviously dont want it to affect our credit rating
Hi, the CCJ is only registered at credit agencies if it’s not paid in full within 30 days. So no it’d fine as long as you pay within that time frame. Does this clarify?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
lovely thanks very much
No problem, have a good day