Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

What fees can an estate agent charge a tenant to renew a

Customer Question

What fees can an estate agent charge a tenant to renew a tenancy
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: A new contract has neen drawn up
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London TW1
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The estate agent is asking for a fee of £120
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Hello, Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

I will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Many Thanks.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

In compliance of Tenant fee Act, from 1 June 2019, the only payments that landlords or letting agents can charge to tenants in relation to new contracts are:

• rent
  • a refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than 5 weeks’ rent where the total annual rent is less than £50,000, or 6 weeks’ rent where the total annual rent is £50,000 or above
  • a refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property) capped at no more than 1 week’s rent
  • payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant
  • payments capped at £50 (or reasonably incurred costs, if higher) for the variation, assignment or novation of a tenancy
  • payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and Council Tax
  • a default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

FEES THAT ARE NOT PERMITTED

Any fees not expressly included on the permitted list above, or in excess of those set out in the permitted list, are Prohibited Payments. The following list are examples of payments which will be prohibited:-

• Reference check fees
  • Inventory fees
  • Tenancy check out fees
  • End of tenancy professional cleans
  • Payments to third parties – e.g. requiring the tenant to pay referencing fees directly to the reference check provider
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
an estate agent can not charge £120 for a new tenancy agreement?
Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Charging as a fee for what?

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

You need to ask why you are being asked for £120

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

Agents are only allowed to ask for a fee which is permitted in the Tenant Fee Act.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 16 days ago.

If you need more assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today,