Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I agreed to offer a talk pro bono for a local community

I agreed to offer a talk pro bono for a local community event, but didn't agree for them to record or sell the talk. They've done just that. What legal recourse do I have to force them to stop selling the recording, given that we don't have a contract (only discussion in email form)?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've sent them an email stating that I have noticed the issue and that I don't agree with what they are doing. I've asked them to remove the talk from their site and asked for documentation of any profits (this should be almost zero, the talk has only been up for a few days).
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that's everything. Thank you.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sounds good, thanks Ben.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'd prefer to chat / email as needed.

What was their response when you asked them to remove it?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They haven't yet responded.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Assuming they just take it down, I'd be happy. They've been a bit unresponsive (I sent a prior email when I noticed that they were recording the event, asking whether that's what I was seeing. They haven't responded in ~4 days).

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Can I just check if you are personally identifiable from the recording?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Ben. I am. They've actually just removed the recording, so I think it's resolved.

Oh ok no worries. I was going to say that if you are personally identifiable then you have the right to ask for its removal under the GDPR, which is dealt with under the ‘right to be forgotten’. But if it has been resolved then hopefully you won’t need to rely on it. Hope this helps

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks Ben, I appreciate it. I'll loop back if any more issues arise. :)

No worries. All the best