How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4729
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

If our neighbour is building an extension on the the side of

Customer Question

Hi if our neighbour is building an extension on the the side of ours, are they allowed too
JA: What steps has your neighbor taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No paperwork, hes a builder and thinks he can just go ahead
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: The rear side of our property
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes if hes bought the lane at the side of his property that we have to use to get acess to our vehicle at the rear can he stop us?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Cm63pg 2 bennetts lane we are a muddle terrace house.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 10 days ago.

He will first need to apply for planning permission if the size of the extension requires it. If planning permission is applied for then you can either put in an objection with the local authority against why it should not be granted. You should first ask him if he has obtained permission, or check your local authority website to see if any planning applications have been made. If your title deeds allow you access that you have a right of way to access the rear then no he cannot stop you. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hes already built it on the the back of ours but he has had no paperwork or planning evidence can we sue
Expert:  Madhu Pal replied 10 days ago.

You should contact your local authority to advise that works have been carried out without consent. It will then be up to them to take the matter further. You cannot sue because they have no obligation to you unless they have affected your use and enjoyment of your property in some way.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 3 days ago.
Hi when you say they have built the extension on the side of yours have they built against a party wall between the two properties ie a shared wall?