How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77112
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My name and Ricardo Freitas i am portuguese but i have

This answer was rated:

my name and Ricardo Freitas
i am portuguese but i have status as a resident in england, my driving license is still european
I received a £ 100 speed ticket, I paid in January this year, last week I received a refund from HMCOURTS-SVS.GOV.UK.
I checked on google what it means and read that I should have sent my driver's license somewhere, but I didn't because I don't know where to send it to.
How should I proceed now.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: is Taunton Somerset
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: I d'ont know
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

what do you mean refund?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I received the £100 back in banc account from HMCourts -SVS

Ok, are you asking what sentence you would face?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

What was the speed and what was the limit?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I was driving at 38 and the speed was 30
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The speed limit was 30

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

These fixed penalties are an invention of the police. They don’t exist in law. They certainly weren’t provided for by Parliament. The purpose of them is to divert cases from court.

The reality is that, come what may, your licence was not a UK one so they couldn’t add points. I realise that you say that isn’t your fault but that doesn’t change the fact. They have turned to a summons because they only have six months to lay an information or they will be time barred.

The question is whether you have a defence to the substantive charge. If you were going to accept the FPN then I suppose not.

If you plead guilty though and mitigate on the basis that you tried to accept but failed for whatever reason then they may give you a fine of £85 and the surcharge of £15 plus 3 points. I have seen magistrates do that many times. It can’t be guaranteed though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How I proceed now
I wait until the court call me or can I do something
I want to pay the fine

You just wait for the single justice notice procedure.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so muchRegards

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

Jo C. and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you