How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 66818
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

We have had some very poor building and decorating work

This answer was rated:

Hi there, we have had some very poor building and decorating work done. We still owe 5% of the agreed cost but are withholding and claiming for the costs of remedial work which is being done by a third party. The builder at fault has accepted some blame and is offering to write off the 5%, however our costs will be somewhat greater than this. Can you advise on our best strategy please?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, all communication has been via email or WhatsApp.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: SW18 5DH
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How much are you hoping to claim, in relation to the 5% the builder has agreed to write off?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The amount written off is £3475. However we want a total of £14,310. So an extra £10,835.

What are you claiming for exactly and have you provided the builder with a breakdown of this cost?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Rectifying building
£2,300 plus materials
£450 for shutter repairs and respray
£150 for sealant expert
Sub Total= £2,900 (VAT Not Inc)Compensation for damage
Replace of hall carpet - circa £3,000 - at quoting stage
Replacement front door £5,500 - Karim can provide the invoice - door ordered.
Replacement light £200
A new front bin - ours is beyond use.
£150 for remaining carpets cleaning
Cleaning of specialist mattresses - cost TBC
Sub total = £8,850 (excl Mattress cleaning)Refund:
We paid £900 for cutting and insertion of worktop - this is being taken back out - we expect a minimum 50% refund = £450
Sub Total £450We were charged for a professional clean - the house was filthy. We expect a refund. I would calculate this as such: I cleaned for 7 hours on Wednesday evening - one room. at at cost of say £20 - this equates to £140 for this one room. Multiplied by 8 rooms equals a total of: £1,460
We would like to see invoices for 'wait and load' we believe this was Avni and his Van - this does not correlate to the cost in the quote. We expect a refund for some of this cost.Sub total of cleaning: £1,460We have had to rent for another week - this cost should be passed on
(this does not include the other additional £1250 for the extra weeks even though the team were not on site for 5 days)
Sub Total £650
TOTAL = £14,310

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If the trader refuses to resolve the issues, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

If they refuse to carry out any remedial works or the relationship has broken down beyond repair and you simply cannot trust them on your property anymore, then you may consider using someone else and getting compensated for thee extra costs by them. To do so you would need to make a claim in the County Court via

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you very much!

All the best

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you