Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

Can you tell me if the charge of obsconding from prison is

Customer Question

Hi there, Can you tell me if the charge of obsconding from prison is the same as es
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Same as escaping from prison. Thank you
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Isle of sheppey in Kent
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is the charge of obsconding from prison the same as escaping from prison?
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 16 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can you briefly explain your situation?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My brother was in Standford Hill open prison with a release date of 16 July 2020. His partner has severe mental health issues and hasnt been able to get the correct help, the MP has even been involved. Due to her considering taking her own life my briother left the prison to support her as there was fear of her taking her own life. The prison had been in lockdown for almost 2 weeks. My brother was found and they returned him to HMP Elmley and have now arrested him for escape. He is due at Crown Court on Friday 22 May 2020.
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 15 days ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Yes this may be seen as escaping from prison however I would strongly advise that he finds a solicitor in his area to represent him and help him argue his case against the charge based on the facts you have stated above. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk you will be able to search by area and expertise. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.