12826847

I was involved in a car collision where the driver that hit

I was involved in a car collision where the driver that hit me, fled the scene, soon after armed police came to the crash site, i received no explanation as to what happen, i received a letter from the met police explaining that the incident will not be investigated due to covid 19 and the lack of resources. I almost died, can i contest this? this just is not acceptable
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: lndon london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Incident happened 16th may 2020 i reported to insurance they have stated the car may well be written off
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I want the police to investigate the incident that occurred

The short answer is no I'm afraid.

There is a victim's right of review but that is of a prosecutor's decision not to bring charges rather than the decision of the police not to investigate.

There may be many reasons for this. One might be resource says. Another might be but their view is that it is a road traffic matter and not one amounting to a criminal offence.

I'm afraid that is a discussion that police retain. There has never been prosecution on demand in the UK.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
the incident warranted armed police to come to the collision site, to me I feel i was put in a dangerous situation where i could of died, I just do not understand
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
can I at least receive details of the other driver from the police to make a claim?

You can ask them. They may refuse to avoid reprisals. They can be very hit and miss about that. worth asking.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
okay thank you

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/