How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 66818
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

March Cambs, ok basically i had to lend £1,400 to a person

This answer was rated:

HI im Dawn
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: March Cambs
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: ok basically i had to lend £1,400 to a person who was staying at my property in a caravan. He wouldnt leave ,so i lent him the money. It was agreed on a recept if i didnt get the money back the truck he owned would belong to me, I have the log book signed by both parties and a reciept
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have contacted by tex and im not getting anywhere

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Do you have an address for him where you can contact him?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have his mobile number and his bosses address
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Hi sorry we are not online all day as working from home and have other commitments there. To be able to take it further legally you need his address where you can serve him with documents. I can give you the steps you need to follow once you have an address for him?

Do you want me to proceed with the steps you eventually need to follow?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have a receipt for the truck that i bought and the sighed log book from nov last year incase he didnt pay me.
He hasent paid me so therefore can i go ahead and send in the log book ? The £1400 was payed by my card to a caravan deposit of which i have the receipt

So what are you trying to achieve by doing that?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
well if i havent got the money back surely can i not send in the log book as the new owner and request for the truck.
My question is
1/ Am i within the law to do so ,as i have a signed agreement of sale since nov 19 and recept for the payment that i paid the deposit for his caravan from the caravan park.
2/ The value of his truck would be around £6000 of which he would not want to part with ,am i within the law to contact police that it is stolen once i have the new log book.
I am disabled and vunerable ,i live in the middle of nowhere and live on my own,i have care everyday and he scares me big time

Thank you. By sending the log book to the DVLA all you are doing is notifying them that you are the registered keeper. However that does not make you the legal owner, which is different to the registered keeper. So you will not be transferring ownership to yourself by doing that.

Legal ownership will depend on any agreement you had with him and what evidence you have to prove that a sale or transfer was agreed. Ideally you want some receipts, correspondence, etc which confirms that ownership has been transferred to you and as mentioned, that does not happen by sending the log book.

Also I cannot see the police getting involved with this – they will say this is a civil matter, which in reality it is.

Your best option is still to consider legal action once you manage to find out where he lives and pursue him that way. As mentioned, I can go through the steps you need to follow if you want?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Many thanks for your reply.
What i have is letter confirming i purchased the truck in nov with all the truck details and signed by both of us and that i paid the £1400 as a deposit for him of which i have the receipt.Surely that would make me the owner ?
I have sent a tex to him saying i am giving him till the end of the month to pay up or i will want the truck of which he has ignored me.
I know where he works and i do have the address.
I really dont have alot of money and the money i lent was my savings but as he got violent i had to let him have it. Can you think of anything else i can do without spending more money.

One way or another you would have to spend money to pursue this, assuming that he does not voluntarily return it. The only way to avoid charges is to write demand letters yourself. However if he ignores these and does not pay you back, then you will have to spend money to pursue this formally. Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your help Ben but i cannot afford to do that.
Is there anything i can do with the log book that would inconvenience him

Not really, as mentioned it just means you are notifying DVLA that you are the registered keeper but that is it, you could be the keeper and not necessarily have it in your possession

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i think if i do that, then am i not responsible for tax mot and fines

If you are the registered keeper then you are responsible for tax, etc so even if you do not have the car in your possession but have registered yourself as the keeper, then you will be liable for these so it is pointless doing it

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i have the log book so i will hang onto it but im sure he can get another. If he did would he be breaking the law as i really own it if he dosent give me the money back
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
well i can prove i bought it but then i never sent the logbook in
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also how much would it cost for you to send him a letter

Remember that the log book has nothing to do with ownership so you cannot challenge him for getting a new log book by arguing you own the car.

Unfortunately we cannot send letters on your behalf, we are just an online chat service

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
ok well i guess there isnt alot i can do then
Thanks for the help

You are most welcome

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you