How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2229
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I needed some advice on family law? uk, Peterborough, none i

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i needed some advice on family law?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk, Peterborough
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none i have been married for 18 years, not registered in the uk law as husband and wife but i have 4 kids with him, he has 2 businesses and has a house on his name which he has on rent..
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all for now..
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

When you say it is not registered in the UK - what do you mean? Is the marriage legal in the country you married in?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We are not registered in the uk law as husband and wife only have a religious marriage
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

A Nikah?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 10 days ago.

Do you still need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
just a nikkah
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 10 days ago.

The straightforward answer is that a Nikah is not recognised as a legal marriage in England - it is considered to be a 'non-marriage' under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973. As that Act also determine's the sharing of marital assets, it unfortunately means that you will not have a financial claim for the assets of your marriage.

You may have to ask a Sharia court to decide on your marriage as the English courts do not have jurisdiction.

If you jointly own property, e.g. house in both names, savings in both names etc., then you will have a claim for those as they are legally 50% yours.

Failing that, you would also have a claim against him for the benefit of the children under the Children Act 1989. And you can certainly claim child maintenance from him.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 6 days ago.

Can I ask that you kindly return to the site to rate my response positively as that is how I am paid for assisting you - thank you.