Aaron D
Aaron D, Barrister
Experience:  LLB, BPTC
108775951

I have a private rental for 3 years for last few Month not

Customer Question

I have a private rental for 3 years for last few Month not been able to pay the rent
Landlord is asking for his Rent now what is his rights and mine ?
His contract has runout now last year and he hasn’t come to renew it and I left it as is ?
What happens if don’t and can’t pay due to corana viruse at the moment?
Expert:  Aaron D replied 17 days ago.

Hello, thank you for your question.

Despite the whole coronavirus situation, your landlord is still entitled to his rent. However, his right to evict you has been somewhat changed by emergency laws introduced due to the coronavirus.

Firstly, your landlord cannot evict you without first serving a formal notice and then obtaining a court order. Note that if he does end up doing this though then you may be liable for some of his costs at court.

The best thing you can do is try and agree a payment plan/ rent holiday with him.

If he serves a notice on you then it has to give you longer than it would under normal circumstances. In general, you will be entitled to 3 months notice due to the emergency measures.

So in short, he can't have you evicted right now but if you don't pay he will be able to evict you eventually. Bear in mind that he will be entitled to a judgment for all the arrears.

You can find more details here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-support-available-for-landlords-and-renters-reflecting-the-current-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

I will remain available for any follow-up questions.