SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I have not found out my disabled brother has been donating

I have not long found out my disabled brother has been donating his sperm for free.. he has got a little boy from one family and a little girl from another.. I do not feel this is ethical or legally right. I feel like I need to act on it.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Social workers have said that if he is happy with it then what's the problem? But when the contract was found in his bag he said he couldnt read what it had said, and he lied about being disabled to them.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Have you read the contract?

How have social services got involved?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have read the contract. However my brother had already broke it by texting them everyday asking how the first baby was and talking about his colour eyes. They had ago at him for not abiding by the contract. Social workers will intervene after the pandemic as he needs care because my dad cannot cope with him. My brother has capacity to understand to a certain degree but we dont know how he went about this. He found the family on facebook apparently. The second family are his friends apparently. I havent seen the contract but will continue to use him if they want more children.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
My brother has dyspraxia and cannot read, write, doesnt have concept of dates or boundaries. I am not sure if they have taken advantage or what he done is illegal. They both promise him one picture a month of the kids.

It doesn't sound entirely inappropriate if he does not have the capacity to fully understand what he has done - and also if he has not declared his disabilities to those who he is fathering children for, that also would seem unethical. But it sounds like it is him that needs protection from people taking advantage of him.

You have said that the social workers don't seem to have a problem with it - but I would suggest you speak to a social work manager, not the social workers themselves as it would appear to me that they are missing the point. Put your complaint in writing to Adult Social Services and ask someone to actually investigate what has happened. At the very least they should be assessing whether your brother fully understands any rights he may have towards the children - particularly as this does not seem to have occurred in a proper clinical setting.

You're right to be concerned, and I think you should start by complaining in writing to the social work manager and seeing what response you get.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay thank you

You're very welcome.

I'd appreciate if you could kindly take a moment to rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page as that is how I am paid for assisting you today. Thank you.