Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am a teacher would the charges get me sacked?

I am a teacher would the charges get me sacked ?

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
As I am a teacher I have been suspended because of the drink driving and in charge with a child how will this defect my job ?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I requested a call earlier with a question and paid but the call wasn’t made ? So I am happy with that as long as not charged again or just the text is ok thanks

Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
11 years I am very well thought of I called my head straight away so she knew it was coming she is very supportive of me they have explained that they will interview me then make a decision when they have the info but my bail condition is not to be alone with under 18 I have been temporarily suspended

How long would the bail conditions last for?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Till the hearing on 16th July but obviously due to Covid we aren’t in school
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I already paid for a call but then didn’t receive one ? Happy to carry on messages

Ok thanks. There is no guarantee either way whether you will be sacked or not. In the end that is up to the school. However, their hands may be tied if your regulator decides that you are not fit to continue teaching as a result. See here about the rules about that:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/752668/Teacher_misconduct-the_prohibition_of_teachers_.pdf

So if you get convicted and this ends up with the TRA and your conduct is considered inappropriate to allow you to continue with your job (at least for a period of time), then the employer may have to dismiss you even if they may not have been willing to do so otherwise. So there is a lot of unknowns at present and it is too early to tell, but you have to be prepared for a potential dismissal as it could happen.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you I did look at that document
What is the regulator ?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is it a good idea to contact TRA ?

TRA is the regulator here. You can always contact them to see if this is likely to result in anything further from them

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would that stand me in better stead ?

It won’t change the outcome, I think it will just serve as peace of mind, or at least knowing what you may potentially expect

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would it be good to have representation at my school investigation hearing ?

You cannot legally have that, only if the employer allows it, which they are not obliged to. Also it is best to save that for the formal disciplinary, if it gets that far

Does this clarify things a bit more for you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok excellent thank you

All the best

Experience: Qualified Solicitor