How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77165
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just been seen by a psychiatrist who says that my

This answer was rated:

I have just been seen by a psychiatrist who says that my mental health is normal for a domestic abuse victim. She says a report will be issued. does anyone know what I am supposed to do with that report? Should I give it to the police, so they can have it as part of their enquiries? What else should I do with it?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It is probably more criminal law at this stage. As I don't want to go back to the family court ever again!

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What do you want to achieve.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I want my ex husband to stop abusing me and my son
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I want my ex husband to stop abusing me and my son and to stop locking my disabled child in his bedroom every night, to stop denying the sleep disturbances and for my son to get treatment for them. His health is being put at risk as a consequence of this abuse. And it has been going on for a very long time. But I asked you that before....
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
you told me that him accusing me of BPD in the process of all this other abuse that has been going on is not a crime. But I have been told that it is a crime and it is child abuse by other lawyers and medical health professionals...
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There is a police officer assigned to the case. So I imagine that I should now give him this psychiatrist report along with all the evidence I have of his controlling and coercive behaviour and evidence of him lying to health and social care professionals - of which there are many emails and reports showing this. NSPCC described is as "disgusting" when I explained what he had been doing to my son and that I had done the right thing to report it to police and social services and health professionals beyond his GP, who appears to have been going along with the abuse, until Monday when she informed me that she had re-referred my son back to the sleep clinic, after he had been discharged from it following the lies my ex husband told the consultant at the hospital. The lies were that my son slept through every night. Social care have already produced evidence that this is not correct. Surely lying to medical professional about a childs symptoms in order to deny them access to treatment and therapy that is available to them is a crime. It is must surely reach the threshold of medical neglect.....

Thank you.

If you have already made an allegation to the police then you can hand it in but there is nothing that they can do with it to use it to prosecute him. It is not admissible evidence.

How to stop him Abusing you is rather more of a relationship question the league one and not something I can help with.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The medical advice is to get a good lawyer, but I am not sure what area of expertise I need. What he has done so far is a crime. Denying the sleep disturbances for so long and lying to medical professionals about it must be criminal. I know the police are now investigating and the social workers are now coming up with pre prepared statements to give to me during out of hours calls as they wont speak with me directly any more. they are saying I must correspond via the police or lawyers....
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have a public law firm acting on my sons behalf and they are applying for legal aid for him. But I am not sure the public law angle will help with dealing with my ex husbands conduct in all of this.

If you are making allegations to thePolice then you cannot use the lawyer as you would be dealt with by CPS

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The local authority have been going along with the abuse and the public law firm believes the local authority has acted unlawfully in allowing him to be locked in his bedroom every night without conducting a proper assessment of risks. They have been trying to get to the bottom of what has been going on in the locked bedroom every night, but my ex husband has been refusing to cooperate, which I believe is further evidence of him misleading health and social care professionals about the sleep disturbances. It seems to me that he has thought that he can get away with telling everyone I am mad and my son doesn't have sleep disturbances if he can just lock him inside his bedroom and ignore him when he wakes up. I find this particularly egregious since he is so vulnerable and unable to tell anyone that he is being locked in at night and no one is going to help him when he wakes up.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If it goes to the police, how long will it take to complete their investigation? The police and social care have been bouncing me around between the 2. Social care were telling me it was a criminal matter, but also saying at the same time they did not think he had any parenting capacity issues. Then when I reported it to the police the police said they wouldn't do anything without social care involvement. I thought the police had an obligation to investigate these kind of allegations? If there is a criminal case ongoing, I assume I can still go through the family court . I would like to avoid that place if I can. Because it was the family court that actually allowed him to be sent into this situation in the first place!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There is a safeguarding officer assigned now and I am told he is "making enquiries"

It could take a long time I'm afraid.

There is no time pressure with this allegation.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
sounds like I have to go back to family court anyway?


Customer: replied 16 days ago.


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Well I am getting quite a lot of conflicting advice on here. Because I am also told that the best place to get redress for this abuse is the criminal court. At the moment I am just waiting for evidence of the sleep monitoring to reveal the exact nature of the sleep disturbances and proof that he should reasonably have known he was having them. Social services are insisting he install the monitoring equipment now and his GP has referred him back to a sleep clinic. Surely once this evidence is there it should be dealt with promptly? Even if he goes to a sleep study his father is going to have to describe his bedtime routine - which is - lock him in his bedroom and ignore him while he thrashes around and passes out on the floor. I cant see how any sleep assessor can possibly think that this would be an acceptable bedtime routine that has been going on for 4 years without seeking help for it.

Yes, I’ve seen some of the other answers which I can only say they were wrong. He might well be prosecuted but if you want to actually excluding from the house then that needs to be done by the family Court.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Excluding him form my house is not the issue at all here. He doesn't live here. Of course I can apply to have him excluded, but my priority is to get my kids safe. They are in his home, not mine. And they are suffering this abuse in his home. He is abusing me on email and through services. He was last here before lockdown, but I haven't seen him in ages, but mainly that's because I shut myself away from him as much as I can. My children are suffering because of his abuse of me. I am terrified of being anywhere where he might be, which means he is free to keep on abusing the children like this, because the family courts and social services have turned a blind eye to his abuse.

Yes, we have commented on this. There isn’t any other action that you can take and make a report to the police. They may or may not prosecute but where the children live is a matter for the family courts. Given that he has custody though it is going to be difficult to get him removed from their life

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am well aware of that. But obviously the reason he got custody was as a result of a load of lies he has told the social workers and family court. I still have parental responsibility and that is what the public lawyers are working on now. He is also breaching most of the contact orders in relation to my children and so I probably need to go back to the family court on that anyway. I am not comfortable that he is committing a crime against my son however and I will keep pursuing that. He is a partner in a London accountancy firm and ex investment banker and I am rather shocked he would be so short sighted and put himself at risk of criminal prosecution for the medical neglect of our son.

Yes, i understand.

Crimes have to be reported to the police.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you