How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1581
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I have been asked by my daughter to sign an Afidavit to say

This answer was rated:

I have been asked by my daughter to sign an Afidavit to say that I am the legal heir of my sister in germany. She has just died and they want to get the money from her bank which is frozen to pay the funeral bill and three months rent for the Landlord. I was not adopted legally and a statuary document was made in 1961. I was born in 1938. Her estate is only about 5000 euro's at the most. I think there may be less .
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I have'nt seen it for ten years but I imagine it needs redeccorating . She recently had a new toilet put in by the Landlord.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have a baptism certificate to say thet I was the l;egally adopted daughter and my Godmother is her eldest sister who is deceased as are all her siblings. I also have a statutary document which was made in 1961. sorry about that, the person wanting me to sign this Afidavit just called me and said they were prepared to pay any further bills if they turned up.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just ant to know if it is legal for me to go ahead and allow the family friend of my sister , who works for the Church and is an ex headmaster and has always been trusted by her to sort her bills to go ahead with this situation on our behalf.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance.

I am a UK trained lawyer and I am not aware of the laws in Germany. I would recommend that you speak to someone in Germany to confirm.

Generally though, where a person dies without a will, the law prescribes who is able to deal with their estate. Usually that person is a family member. You would not therefore be able to ask this close family friend to deal with the issue although there seems to be no question as to their competence.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best


ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you , you have confirmed what I was thinking in the back of my mind. Fortunately my other Daughters husband has a relation who works in the Bundesbank in London. We will have to have the temerity to pick their brains! Thank you for your honest answer. Bless you and keep safe, Heather