TK Legal
TK Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB, MCIArb
108614387

I would like to ask about an amicable divorce matter and

Hello, I would like to ask about an amicable divorce matter and implications after.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes I have and I have been granted the decree nisi. However, I am worried about my legal rights and responsibilities will change after the divorce. The real reason for my divorce was abuse, but I did really just want to be divorce and end that toxic marriage. I am planning to continue with my police report after against my ex-husband, but I am afraid that this would be an issue.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I moved to Peru after the separation but my marriage was in the UK.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all. thank you

Hello dear, welcome to JustAnswer ! My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today with your legal issue. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding. Please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions. Thank you!

What is your exact query please?

Amicable divorce is always better, specially when parties can agree to who wants what.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much. I am in the middle of the divorce process ( 2 years separation). I have been granted that decree nisi, I do not want to claim anything for me, like a pension or something. I just wanted the divorce to be over, the real ground is unreasonable behavior, abuse. I have a police report pending. My question is: After the amicable divorce is done, can I continue with the police report?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Will the fact that I accepted an amicable divorce for the sake of my peace now, affect later the report on abuse?

Of course, you can. It has nothing to do with your divorce of financial settlement. You can have a clean break consent order approved by the court and then get divorced.

This does not mean you were not abused and cannot seek justice.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have reported him with the police for abuse. but I put this on hold.
So from your answer, my understanding is that, I could have accepted an amicable divorce and after all this is over, I can still continue the police report for abuse. Like the court will not say something like, why did you accept an amicable divorce if the real ground was abuse?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
are you there?

Yes, I am here dear. This is an email service, sometimes takes long to get the response.

Your ground is 2 years separation, not unreasonable behaviour. You wanted to get this divorce as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh I am sorry, I have just used this service for the first time. I thought it disconnected.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, it was amicable divorce only to get the civil process faster but for example the next day after being divorce. I can continue the police report that I put on abuse, correct?

If domestic violence was the cause for the divorce as divorce ground, your ex would never had agreed. So, to process the divorce smoothly you have chosen another ground which would let you divorce him quickly. If you would have chose domestic violence as the ground, he would have prolonged the procedure for no reason and would have made it difficult for you. Hence, you have chosen another ground for which you qualify.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Exactly. Yes, he would have never agreed and I just wanted this to be over soon. Your answer makes me calm and I am more relieved now. Thank you very much

You have asked them to hold which is fine. You have not withdrawn it. If they question you, you just explain to them that you did not want to go through another abuse in the process asking for divorce on domestic violence ground.

Nothing to fear. He will be punished. Even if something goes wrong, at least you will be happy that you have no ties with that person anymore.

You should explain to the police nicely your reason for holding it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I get it. Yes I will. Your advice has been amazing and it really gave me some peace and tranquility. Thank you! So how do I end this conversation? Is it possible later on to get in contact with you in case I have another enquiry?

I am glad I could help. Before you go today, I would appreciate if you could take just a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen).

For future information, please start your question with ‘For TK Legal’.

You can always link to my profile for another question at a later time.

https://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-tkabir/

Have a nice weekend, dear!

Kind regards, T.K.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you! I did the rating thanks a lot. Have a nice weekend too.

Take care.