Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I need help inquiring about a fraud marker for first party

Hi I need help inquiring about a fraud marker for first party fraud
JA: The Fraud Examiner will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Fraud Examiner can help you best.
Customer: I was in a relationship that was abusive and escalated
I tried to leave or become less part of it
He become very weird and started scaring me by saying he can’t live without me and that he’ll tell my family about us - which is the last thing I want because I come from a religious house
He saw I was ready to end it with him and then said that if I did he will definitely tell my parents and will tell everyone and ruin my social life
He started saying that he needed me to do a job for him if I wanted him to leave me - he said all I needed to do was give him my bank details and he would give me everything back
I was scared and new there was something wrong but mentally was not in a good place and vulnerable and had no one to speak to
I did it
Found out he did fraud in my account
Tried to get into contact with him after the bank got into contact with me
He said to never contact him or he’ll get his boys on me
I tried to plead with the banks and sort it out
Nothing happened
I had to bank with online banks
I’m growing up and learning it’s not my fault and I’m the victim and I want to sort it out - I’ve gone to therapy and can prove I was a vulnerable victim
JA: Is there anything else the Fraud Examiner should be aware of?
Customer: So in result I have 2 markers from NatWest and Nationwide for first party fraud - I requested a report from cifas and this what I could see.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This happened in 2018 - so it’s been 2 years and I know a cifas marker for first party fraud lasts 6 years - is there any way we can open it up again with the right legal aid and show I was vulnerable as due to my mental well being and get it removed earlier
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm the matter went to court and a decision was made against you?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It did not go to court
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It was 2018 and bank accounts that were used for fraud were Nationwide and NatWest
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
both of them had then identified there was fraud and closed my accounts and registered first party fraud markers
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had called to find out the issue and the banks turned me away - I was advised to contact CIFAS and gain my records
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I did and this is when I realised I had the markers
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I tried to open accounts with other high street banks such as Lloyd’s and metro bank
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
However, they would all be closed down within weeks
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was able to do my own research and open online bank accounts such as monzo and cashplus
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
However, after seeking therapy and becoming more stable I want to sort my life out (financially). I was the victim to abuse and harassment - I don’t deserve this.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have read up if there were any similar cases such as mine
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I found this
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am able to get my doctor (therapist) to prove my mental well being was not correct and I will hope to be given early pardon as I’ve already suffered two years.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please let me know what I can do and if I have any hope of removing the marker before the 6 years are over.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Please let me know ASAP
Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you write to your bank using their complaint procedure setting out the circumstances. If they are not willing to reverse the decision you will need to take the matter to court. If you take this course of action I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk you will be able to search by area and expertise. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today