Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I went to put a holding deposit down for a tenancy yesterday

Hi I went to put a holding deposit down for a tenancy yesterday and while I was there they accepted another holding deposit for the same property. Is this something that is allowed? As in my opinion it should be kept for me until the process is done or I fail the proceedings. Am I wrong?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Yea we paid the deposit and filled in the application for the property
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: West bromwich
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm are you sure the deposit was for the same property?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi yea it was definitely for the same property as went straight from the viewing to the estate agent and the same person was also their to view the property
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She also said the address when saying she wanted put down the deposit
Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you contact the agency/landlord to confirm and ask them to explain this. Holding deposits are requested by landlords or agencies to hold a property for a prospective tenant and take the property 'off the market'. Thus there should not be more then 1 prospective tenant paying for this. If this is the case I would advise you write a formal complaint to your local council. You can find your local council here:https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
That's very helpful I appreciate the advice you have given. I will contact them and will write a letter of complaint to my council. Thank you ����