ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

Can I sue someone for selling me a sick puppy. The sale is

Can I sue someone for selling me a sick puppy. The sale is illegal in other ways too- under 8 weeks old, not the breed advertised, not the sex advertised
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have reposted to animal welfare, but not contacted the seller. The puppy was so ill, vet didn't expect her to survive. I've had her for 1 week
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to sue for vet charges and illegal sale

Did you buy from shop or private seller?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I bought from a private seller

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. If you bought the pet from a private seller, you have less consumer rights than if you bought it from a shop or organisation. You can only get a refund for the cost of the pet if it didn’t match the description the seller gave you. So if the seller described the pet as healthy, you might have a right to a refund.

If you didn’t ask about the pet’s health and the seller didn’t tell you how healthy it was, there is nothing you can do. Please rate 5 stars

ok

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The puppy was advertised as 8 weeks old, Cavapoo breed boy. On calling the smellier said puppy is healthy. The puppy is a not the breed, age or sex advertised. How would I start a process to get my money back? I paid £2500 plus vet fees.

Well then that seems like they have misrepresented the position. I would contact them and ask for either compensation or for them to pay the bills. I would also contact the RSPCA. Happy to discuss and please rate 5 stars

Do you have other questions?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No. Thank you. As I didn't receive the phone call requested. Please can you confirm I will not be charged

The phone call was not accepted so you should not be charged. Please rate 5 stars for my time. Thanks