Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I sent a packaged bicycle by courier to my grandson in

I sent a packaged bicycle by courier to my grandson in Norfolk, the bike was in a box 1200x800x200 with the couriers labels plus the address clearly written on the box. The parcel was attempted to be delivered on the 17th April and failed saying no one at home when the whole family were at home in lockdown. The courier subsequently tried a further 4 times to deliver even after my supply of a contact phone no and clear instructions on how to fin he house. In the mean time they lost it then found it tried to deliver it again then damaged it and finally lost it again. The bike was insured for £30 with the cost of shipping however as it was purchased as a private sale I do not have a receipt for the payment, I do have a photo of the bike and I do have a receipt for a service and replacement parts from a local bike repair shop I have a complete email record of contacts with the courier and their intermediary but cannot speak to any individual to foward my claim, their online claim form is beyond my technical ability to complete. Can you advise
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the courier Hermes and their intermediary P2G and have also involved resolver, but I keep being passed around and nobody seems to read my emails and answer them.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

You have a claim in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the Courier. The Defendant was under a duty in contract law and statute to provide you with a product and service that was fit for purpose and of reasonably satisfactory quality. Your damages will be a refund on the purchase price, plus additional costs of rectifying their defective work through another supplier i.e. a refund in the Courier's charges and the cost of the replacement bike.

You should send a letter of claim to them. There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim.

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim. The issue fee will be about £50 for a claim of this size.

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track. However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”). The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.