How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77155
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I purchased access to an event in Italy (cycle ride) that

This answer was rated:

I purchased access to an event in Italy (cycle ride) that was cancelled by the organiser. The company is based in Switzerland and are only offering refunds to those who took out their (the organiser's) insurance, or book an event next year using the money already paid. I don't want to switch to next year and the company are refusing say anything other than book another trip. Can I insist on a refund under the UK Consumer Rights Act 2015? Or should I ask my credit card company to take action? Many thanks. Jeremy
JA: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: Trip is in northern Italy, and I booked the trip on the 26th January 2020 online.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Only asked repeatedly for a refund but to no avail.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

You did pay by credit card?

Jo C. and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I did - First Direct Visa card.

Are you sure you want a phone call?

It will increase costs. I can do this online and you can seek a refund on the call by emailing***@******.***

I can call now if you would like?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Online is fine.

Thank you.

You do have a claim against the company. the problem is that it is difficult to enforce your judgments abroad.

you should pursue the company but if they will not agree then it would be much more sensible to recover from your credit card company who will have an office in the UK that can be sued at the small claims court.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
contact the credit card company, explain the situation and let them deal with it from there?

yes, they may tell you to pursue the company. They are known to do that but they are liable and they will know it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks for your help!

No problem.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile