LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I have a contract with an estate agency for a room where i'm

i have a contract with an estate agency for a room where i'm living now up to the 12/10/2020.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: is in wood green, N22 5SB we were in 5 tenants but now due to the coronavirus situation most of the flatmates have left to go back to their country and i am now living with just one tenant, while we still paying full amount of rent, bills included
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i've recived just a phone call from the estate agency telling us that we need to leave the house because the landlord of it want to take it back. they said they found us another house really close to here, but that means that we'll have to move into a new house with 5 new tenants during this lockdown.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i didn't recive any official email, or any contract, i just recived the phone call on the 14/05/2020 telling that we need to leave by the 11 of June.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I don't want to move with other people during this lockdowm, and i want to know if they have any right to evict me like that, just with a phone call, and if there is anything i can do to keep my residence here

Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users.

You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.

Presently, the Government have put provisions into place to ensure that no renter in either social or private accommodation will be forced out of their home during the Covid 19 pandemic up until at least 25 June 2020. So no renters in private or social accommodation needs to be concerned about the threat of eviction. The agency cannot force you all to move and you can simply refuse.

Does that clarify for you?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
it does thank you so much, but what after the 25th of June?, if it's true that the actual landlord want to take back the property from the agency services?

So the Government will review the position then and decide whether to extend the ban on eviction. Until the ban is lifted, you cannot be forced out of the property.

Does that cover everything? :)

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
anyway the agency has to let me know ho many days in advance in case of eviction?

The agency must serve you with proper Notice if they ask you to leave. Even after this, you should stay in your home even if you've already had notice. During this time new eviction rules mean that:

• bailiffs won't evict you
  • landlords can't get an eviction order
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you

It’s a pleasure!

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for helping you. It’s important to leave a rating as this is how Experts are credited.

All the best :)

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
sure