How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1440
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I'm a Tennant, the front door is a single pane fully glass

This answer was rated:

Hi I'm a Tennant, the front door is a single pane fully glass door from 1950,s, in the wind the door handle pulled out from my hand and slammed shut glass pane has shattered the landlord told me to contact glazier and replace the door can he do that. He has no give the property an inspection. In 2years and I explained the glass is old and weak I don't believe its my responsibility to replace the old weak glass with new toughened glass can you advise please,?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: U. k
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I notified landlord, and letting agent, it's a health and safety risk for me to attempt securing the broken glass hanging from the door that has a big hole in the glass I have no one to help me I'm living here alone
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that the cooker is close to door and. Its not a fire regulated door


Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation..

The landlord has an obligation under the landlord and tenants act to repair the damage to the property. Further it is likely within your contract that the landlord has to carry out repairs too.

In addition if you suffer injury as a result of the damage you can bring a claim against the landlord under the defective premises act. Therefore it will not be in the landlords best interests for him to tell you to clear the glass since if you suffer injury you potentially can claim against him.

That said if the damage was your fault and not due to a potentially defective door and or glass then the landlord can fix it and seek to recover the money from you.

Do you understand what I have stated so far if yes I will proceed to the next step?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Will next steps cost me more than £5 that paid for your service so far? Thank you

No it wont costs you extra.

The next step is to write to the landlord and remind him of his obligations under the law and likely within the contract too. If he disagrees I suggest you consider filling a complaint with the local council as they can step in and resolve the issue which can be forcing the landlord to carry out the works necessary to ensure you are safe.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.

Thanks and stay safe

Anthony Chendo and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Anthony, understood, and i appreciate your advise, donna

Your welcome