How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4777
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My brother owes me money from my mum died. It has been 15

This answer was rated:

Hi my brother owes me money from my mum died. It has been 15 years we had a fallout last year and I have sent him several messages about paying me he won’t respond. It was a verbal agreement between him my mum and me. The agreement was he wokls would give me 40,000 and he would get the land. We all agreed. He gave me two separate amounts one of 4,000 and another 10,000. He still owes me £26,000. What can I do? Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northern Ireland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None just sent him mesaages and he won’t reply
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No don’t think so

Hi thank you for your message, have you given him the land? The issue is if this is a verbal agreement can you prove it?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
he has the land and because I was building a house up at my husbands home area my mum wanted me to have the money instead. I was a conversation was had in her car she was sick at the time with cancer when we all spoke about it and that’s what we agreed

Yes the issue though is going to be proving the agreement. Without some kind of evidence you cannot succeed in a legal claim.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have one email he sent me asking for the amount and my bank account.

Ok, you can use that, to bring legal action for the money. If you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process and represent you at the hearing you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you