Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I would like to know what legally counts as harassment My

I would like to know what legally counts as harassment My landlady is trying to force me to sublet two rooms I had agreed to do so after my children had returned to university in September and after the pandemic had subsided. I have this in writing. She is accusing me of agreeing to rent them from June I have expressed my agreement and provided my evidence. She continues to message me and is now starting to insult me.
JA: Where is this? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: England
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: She is obliged to maintain the garden and maintain electrics and plumbing. However, she is now telling me she is doing me a goodwill gesture by doing the garden and that I should be grateful, despite it being in the lease. The radiator has not been working for three weeks. Every time I ask her to fix it, she just taps on it and ignores me. I have asked for someone qualified. She responds by saying "do you want me to send a man to change your lightbulbs."
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. She is telling me that she is renting one of the rooms from June, "END OF", despite my lease agreement. I feel like I'm being bullied.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What type of tenancy do you have?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We have a 6 month tenancy involving 4 tenants.

Have you reported anything to the Police?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No, I have not reported anything.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm not sure what to do. She keeps giving me these "options" involving increasing the rent and I keep responding that I am sticking to my lease and my agreement to let the rooms out after my children return to uni in September and after the pandemic has subsided.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have stopped replying to her as I find myself repeating myself, however, she continues to send me unkind messages.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The lease itself does not include anything about the subletting.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Will you still talk to me if I do not phone you?

Report it to the Police. This is harassment.

If they contact you more then twice

Its a criminal offence, they can go round warn them and then if they contact you further, then if they breach it, they can be be prosecuted.

That should resolve this criminal behaviour for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much.

Can I assist with anything else?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Not that I'm aware of right now. I would just like this lady to stop gas lighting me.

All the best. If I could invite you to rate me 5 stars before you go today by clicking the button at the top of the screen, so the site credits me for the time spent. I am only paid when you rate. if you need further help please click reply. Thanks in advance.