How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77155
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I left England in December 2019 to return to the republic of

This answer was rated:

Hello I left England in December 2019 to return to the republic of Ireland. I was stopped and arrested in July 2019 for drink driving . I heard nothing after that from the police but apparently there was a court hearing in January and a bench warrant has been issued. What should I do?
JA: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the drunk driving charges?
Customer: not that I know of.
JA: Where did the drunk driving occur?
Customer: Exeter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I don't think so, I had been planning to return to Ireland for some time due to a marriage breakdown, originally that was for sept/oct time, but I didn't leave until December

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

The bench warrant was in England?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm sorry I cannot afford the telephone call fee, I can only do it this way

Are you in England now?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No I moved to Ireland in December, not because of the arrest, but because of a marriage break down

Thank you.

The only way to resolve a bench warrant is to surrender. If you are in Ireland then you cannot do that without coming to the UK.

If you want to resolve it then you need to come to the uk and surrendered to the relevant court. You can also surrender to the police but they will keep you in custody so there is no sense in that.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I didnt know that there was a court hearing in January, should I contact the police?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm just not sure what I should do. I have no experience of this sort of thing.

No, you should surrender.

Are you sure there is an arrest warrant anyway? Often they just convict in absence after a summons.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
apparently the police were in contact with my estranged husband and told him there was a bench warrant. he telephone our daughter here in Ireland and told her that
How can I find out what the court ruling was?

You must have been on bail then.

You can try phoning the magistrates but it will have been a fine and a ban.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
can they arrest me in Ireland?

Not if you are in southern ireland unless they get an european arrest warrant which they won't for this.

They tend to just wait until somebody comes to attention again.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
why are they asking my old neighbours about me?

Because they are looking for you in the UK.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oh right. I am not working at the moment because of the covid 19 so cannot afford to return to England and had no plans to return. Would your advise then to return when I can afford to do so or contact the court and find out what the fine/ban was and make arrangements to find a way to pay the fine?

Yes, it will just have to be as soon as you can.

You could make contact with the UK police and agree to surrender.

They will give you time to pay the fine. The issue is just that you didn't go to court.

Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They told my estranged husband that there was a letter dated 27th December sent to me but I left to return to Ireland on that date, I did not recieve the letter so that is why I didn't attend court. I am a really grateful for your assistance and will rate your answers highly. As I said I have no experience of any police matters so I am at a loss as what to do and I want to do the right thing

Just contact the police and arrange to surrender.

If you didn't get the notification then you would have a defence.