SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

My father passed away 6 yrs ago, my mother got his half of

Hi, my father passed away 6 yrs ago, my mother got his half of their estate into her name, they were still married etc. My mother has now passed away due to the covid virus on the 7th april 2020. I have 4 sisters, my mother left a will expressing how her estate was to be divided and who the executors would be. Since my father passed away, 2 of my sisters become verbally against myself and 2 of my sisters ref how we treat my mother and how we did nothing for my father, etc etc. So me and my other 2 sistera had no contact with these 2 sisters due to their actions. Anyhow, now my mother has passed away, one of the sisters i have contact with and one of my sisters i do not have contact with are the 2 executors to my mothers will and estate. These two sisters are unable to communicate and cannot speak ref any of the situation. I have still not seen a full copy of my mothers will, nor have i seen a copy of her death certificate. Where or how do i intervein to sort out the going forward with the situation.? It is impossible to sensibly speak to my sister who is executor, so is going via a solicitor the only option and if so, is it wrong to expect it financially wrong to expect the legal costs to come out of everyones part of the estate. Steve blackwell
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Sorry yes. Berkshire. UK
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have nothing currently bar 4 pages of my mothers will, which states we all get 2/5ths of my mothers estate once sorted.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i know of, but i need to also understand if one sister who is not an executor, does she has access rights to be able to wonder in and out of my mothers house still with us having no idea what she is constantly taking out of the house.. we have no same access currently as she lives very local to the house and is able to just come go as she pleases..
Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience
The executor only can deal with abd god die the estate to preserve the assets and to ensure there is no loss in value of the assets and to administer the estate without undue delay. So no the one sister (potentially a beneficiary) can not freely go in and out of the house without the executor making sure nothing is being taken from the house. Sometimes when siblings don’t cooperate with your requests you are left with no option but to engage a probate solicitor who will request copy of the Will to ensure you are a beneficiary and then to protect your interests.
You should check if you have a home insurance policy as many have a legal disputes section and can cover probate disputes. It would then be a lot easier and cheaper if your insurer could pick this dispute for you.
I am sorry for your loss
I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the reply. What about in regards ***** ***** wanting a copy of the death certificate for my mother too.? I am surely entitled to a copy of that as well as a copy of her will, no ?
You would be able to request these yes but some executors will refuse if they believe there will be distractions if beneficiaries start wanting to engage with the process of administration. If you had a solicitor that would be easily done.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi. Id prefer to still continue by text as my 2 sisters require my answers.. Thank you for the reply. What about in regards ***** ***** wanting a copy of the death certificate for my mother too.? I am surely entitled to a copy of that as well as a copy of her will, no ? This was part of my first question thanks
Hi, I thought I had responded to this. My apologies. Yes you are entitled to a copy as she is your mother, however if the executor is refusing you would end up with no option but to go legal in order for a court to make her release it.