How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 470
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Me and my partner have had mortgage for 4years. I used

This answer was rated:

Me and my partner have had mortgage for 4years. I used inheritance to put deposit of 47 thousand pounds down on it to bring mortgage down to 91thousand... we now want to separate will I be entitled to more out of the sale of the house.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No as in lockdown it's a bad time
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Dont think so .

Hello I am James, a solicitor, I will assist today.

if you and your partner were living together as partners were you both sharing and contribution to the property and bills etc.
when you paid the extra inheritance off the mortgage was there any signed agreement about this with your partner. Is the mortgage in both names?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We both contribute to the mortgage payments and household Bill's.. I have proof of inheritance and that it was used as deposit to bring our payments down

I am sorry to say, that unless there was some written agreement that would allow you to claim extra benefit from the property from the extra funds you put in, then the extra payment made to reduce the mortgage would apply evenly as a payment made at that time from partners together to reduce their mortgage. Sorry I cannot give a happier answer.

Please do come back if further assistance needed.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and other Law Specialists are ready to help you