Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

We have repeatedly asked the tradesman for a written quote

We have repeatedly asked the tradesman for a written quote and a start date before confirming him to take on work. He has now said he has started the work (making wooden gates) and is suing us. At no stage have we agreed a start date. We no longer wish to use him due to his lasai fai attitude in getting back to us. He has been verbally abusive and threatening "to send a man round to cause damage to our property". What is my position from a legal perspective. Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Selby, North Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We messaged him to say we do not wish to go ahead with the work as we had not received anything in writing as per our request. He then contacted us by phone and became abusive and threatening
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time

Just to clarify there is no agreement in place regarding the works in place and if so why does he believe there is an agreement to undertake the works?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
We said he could do the work subject to receiving the itemised quote to remove gate posts, fit new posts and gates and an agreed start date. We sent him the message on tuesday and heard nothing. We told him today in writing that we were not going ahead as we hadn't had a response. He then spoke on the phone and said he had made a start on he gates. To which my husband reminded him of our previous message. He then said "he had been busy" amongst other things.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Throughout our dealings with this person he has been very "slack" at getting back to us. He said today that he was putting the quote in the post on Monday!

Given he didn't comply with the conditions proposed which was provide a quote before he started the works then I suggest you remind him of his failure to abide with such conditions therefore there is no agreement in place and thus no basis for his claim.

Notify him if he continues such behaviour then this amount to harassment. This is because such conduct falls within the definition given within Section 1 of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which is as unwanted conduct designed to cause the victim alarm or distress". Further if he does not stop such action you will report the matter to the police as harassment is a criminal offence.

Do you understand what I have stated if not please let me know

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your advice and information.i understand what you have stated

Your welcome