How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1454
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

Please need help, Hounslow, Our ex landlord asking me to pay

This answer was rated:

hello please need help
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hounslow
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Our ex landlord asking me to pay £2,500 to redecorate his flat which i left it clean
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no


Welcome to JA.

Did he provide any evidence to support the damage you allegedly caused and the amount in question?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No he didint. His solicitor email us regarding the flat. saying that we need to pay £2,500 plus coz we didnt left the flat clean and tidy and with fungi. that fungi, the is black stain on the wall which i didnt know that is molds. and then the solicitor gave us 7days to reply and pay for it otherwise they will sue us. I dont know what to do

I suggest you dispute the amount claimed and ask for evidence of the price quoted for the service. Further ask for a copy of the moving in and leaving flat inventory as this will have pictures of the property both when you moved in and out. Once you receive the evidence review it to see whether the damage was there when you moved in. If it was I suggest you challenge the damage.

However if the damage was not there do your research to see whether there are cheaper ways to fix the damage caused. If there is then I suggest you make an offer based on the cheaper figure because landlord should not be using the most expensive route to fix the damage.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

However if I have clarified the position please before you leave JA today please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
am i responsibility of the molds in the flat?


Thanks for your further question.

Please can you rate the assistance provided for the initial query by clicking on the stars button and once rated I will proceed to discuss your latest question at no costs.

Once rated please do not open a new question as I will answer the question on this post today.


Anthony Chendo and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you


There are numerous causes of mold, such as the way you use the property or as a result of the poor maintenance of the flat by the landlord. Therefore you will need the landlord to show you proof from an expert such as a surveyor that the mold caused was due to the way used the property and the mold could have been avoided if you treated the property properly. If there is no proof then I suggest you ask the landlord to prove it was your fault and it was not something he should have done to the property to avoid such matters occurring.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much. and one thing, Coz i am very worried and frightened. The solicitor ask us to reply within 7days otherwise the solicitor will the immigration. i dont know why. We didnt do illegally. Should we reply now? or call the citizen advice bereau?

I suggest you contact the solicitors to find out why and then seek advice from the citizens advice once you have the response.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
do i have to pay if i call you?


I suggest you confirm this with the customer service.


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, Please We already email back the Solicitor of the Landlord. But that solicitor is a conveyor not a solicitor. and landlord claiming that is his solicitor. And now the landlord want to sue us and proceed in the court. he is asking money £2,578 without any proof