How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1840
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

I would like to ask. I have residence card of a family

This answer was rated:

hello I would like to ask. I have residence card of a family member of a union citizen for 5 year . can I have marriage . ? my boyfriend doesn't have visa but we have a newborn baby.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: we didn't start anything . just inscribed the father on the child's birth certificate. We live in London And we from Ukraine
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: whether we have the right to marry in this country That's all . Thank you

Hi, I am a UK Lawyer and will be assisting you with this matter today. Please note, there can sometimes be delays between messages. Thank you.

Yes you can get married with a unmarried residence card - being a family member of a EU national. At present the marriage registries are currently closed in the UK.

This provision to get married is permitted under Article 12 of the ECHR - the right to get married. You would need to give notice to get marriage - I will send you more information on this.

You must decide where to have your marriage or civil partnership ceremony before giving notice.

You must then sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. This is known as ‘giving notice’.

You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony. You must hold the ceremony within 12 months of giving notice.

The cost of a registrar is:

  • £46 at a register office
  • £86 at a registered religious building

Costs may be different at other approved premises.

You should also mention of your newborn baby - Congratulations on this and need to registered the child's birth within 42 days of the birth. This will also be evidence of the subsisting and durable relationship.

Thank you for your question today

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
but my boyfriend is illegal .
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
whether he has the right to marry

Which visa are you currently on?

Yes he does have the right to marry - but must have a valid passport and proof of relationship in order to get married.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Residence card of a family member

You would need to click on the above link.

On which basis was you acquired the Residence Card of a Family member?

Are you there?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My mam

Your partner is entitled to get married with you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My mam EEU we live together
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what steps do I need to take correctly?

The problem is that you are a dependant on your mother. So if you get married with your partner, then it would be your mother - post marriage that would need to apply for him (her Son in law) to be granted a residence card on her (your mum) not you - as you are a dependent on your mother.

Thank you for your question today.

Before you go,

I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for help
Okay no problem
Have great evening

You too -have a nice evening

Lawyer21 and 5 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

You would need to click on the where it says Rating - by clicking on the above stars and press submit. Many thanks and all the best!