How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 740
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

Me and my girlfriend moved in together 12 months ago in a

This answer was rated:

Me and my girlfriend moved in together 12 months ago in a flat on a 6 month lease. The lease has ran out and I want her to leave how can I do this
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Preston, lancashire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None the relationship has become untenable just recently I’m having trouble getting her share of the rent etc
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes she is an alcoholic and keeps threatening me with the police
Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users.
You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.
What type of tenancy do you have?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Short hold tenancy
Thank you, ***** ***** shorthold tenancy. Is it a joint tenancy with your girlfriend?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can’t the other person is here
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
but it ran out in October plus she signed as a non smoker which is now not true
Have you spoken with your Landlord about this and the possibility of offering you a tenancy in your name?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is that the best thing
because ending a fixed term tenancy is different to a periodic tenancy. You won't need your girlfriend’s agreement to end it, and you'll no longer be liable for rent once your notice expires.
If you end the tenancy it means that your girlfriend no longer has the right to live there. She will have to leave and you can agree a new tenancy with your Landlord in your sole name.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I want to keep the flat I jus don’t want her ivolved
That’s fine.You can agree a new tenancy with your Landlord in your sole name.
Does that clarify for you?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
thanks but what if she refuses to gob
Well once one of you serves notice for the tenancy to end, it ends for both of you. Therefore you both must leave unless a new tenancy is made with the the Landlord. You can call the Police in that regard.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It’s a pleasure.I would be grateful for a positive rating at the top of your screen for helping you. It’s important to leave a rating as this is how Experts are credited for their time.All the best.
LegalNinja and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you