How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 454
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

Tenancy agreements, rent property, tenancy agreement, no

This answer was rated:

tenancy agreements
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: rent property
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: tenancy agreement
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no Thank you

Hello I am James a solicitor,

I will assist today, How can I help?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
if I rent privately house to tenant , do I have to let council about it?

There are many things to consider if you become a landlord and rent out a private house. You do not need to inform council, but I have attached a link to the government site that will guide you through all your legal responsibilities and what you must do.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
is it necessarily to take any deposit??

The short answer is no, you don't have to take deposits. Indeed, some landlords have made a positive decision not to take a deposit, so as to avoid the bother of having to protect it in a tenancy deposit scheme.

But a deposit if taken, can be used to cover rent if a tenant just ups and leaves with no notice, or towards damage and repairs when they leave.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
that's why didn't take itthank you for answer
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
do I have to write to tenancy agreement how tenant will be paying me - by transfer , cash etc?

Your welcome.

The most important thing to remember is to supply the tenant with

1. A copy of the Government’s ‘How to rent’ checklist

This is an easy one. It's a Governmnent checklist with detailed information on each stage of the renting process, and landords and lettings agents must provide their tenants with it by law. You can find it on the Government website here.

2. A gas safety certificate

If the property you are letting has any gas appliances, such as an oven or hob, you must have the property checked by a gas safety engineer every 12 months and then supply the certificate to your tenant.

Fail to do this and you can be reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) where penalties can range from a fine to imprisonment.

3. Details of the Deposit Protection Scheme if deposit taken

If your rental home is in England and Wales and let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST), you are legally required to hold your tenant's deposit in a Government-backed Tenancy Deposit scheme.

You'll need to supply your tenant with the paperwork for this within 30 days.

A TDS is an independent third-party scheme designed to offer protection for both landlord and the tenant should there be a dispute at the end of the contract.

There are three providers to choose from – The Deposit Protection Service (DPS), The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) and MyDeposits.

At the end of the tenancy, you will have 10 days to return the deposit.

For more on how the schemes work, take a look at our Q&A.

4. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

The next document to get ready for tour tenant is the EPC, a certificate which rates the energy-efficiency of your property and sets down estimated energy costs.

All properties receive a rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).

In 2018, new regulations were introduced which mean landlords can only let their property if it receives an EPC rating of E or higher.

You can read more about these EPC rules here.

5. Relevant contact details

Finally, you are also legally obligated to provide your tenant with your contact details (or those of your lettings agent). This must include your name, address and a telephone number in case of an emergency.

If you fail to supply these you can be fined.

it is always recommended to have a tenancy agreement written up. It is legally binding on the tenant.

I am here for further advice if needed.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid Justanswer, I won’t be paid for my time from their website if there is no rating left for me

james bruce and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
lovely , thank you

your welcome

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
can I ask you about something?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
if I'm main tenant , how many subtenants can I have to not go into HMO?