JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have just been scammed online. I thought I was on the DVLA

Hello, I have just been scammed online. I thought I was on the DVLA website but I was not. I have given them my address, passport number, national insurance number, telephone number and bank details.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: What do I do I am in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i HAVE CANCELLED MY CARD
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i don't think so

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Sorry to hear of this. There are a few scams involving DVLA and also HMRC going around.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I do to protect my identity as I have given them all of my information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do?

The only thing you can do is to change your passwords for emails and online banking - and you can inform DVLA of this.

You may also need to inform Action Fraud via their site which is here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk

There isn't anything else you can do at this stage. The bank is the most serious issue but you have already rang them to cancel your card. Just bear in mind that DVLA and also HMRC will never contact you by telephone or email - if you are cold-called do not give the person contacting you any personal details.

Is this OK?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's really helpful.

My pleasure, have a good day.