12826847

My van got broken into and car insurance write it off

Hey. My van got broken into and car insurance write it off however they are now asking me to pay for the remaining full year of the van insurance which is £1200 even though I no longer have it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Based in London W3 8JF
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have spoken to insurance and asked the signed contract which they were unable to prove.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes the insurance was automatically renewed and their t&c only state the cancellation policy in 14 days of signing up

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Sorry about your situation as this is deplorable and it happened to me once.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo C
Yes, would like to know if I need to contact in this case to take it further as they never explained the process to me once. They even confirmed on a phone that after it got written off that the insurance is cancelled but then 3 days later got a letter that I have to pay the remaining year
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you be able to advise at all? would prefer to write as phone call is advised as alternative communication

Yes, no problem. I can do this online.

I'm afraid that I can't give you particularly good news.

I am sorry as I know this is deplorable.

It happened to me once.

Although many people think they have a monthly insurance policy, they don’t. They have an annual policy which is paid monthly.

Once there is total loss claim many insurance policies come to an end and that is the situation that you are in. You have to pay the balance of the years premium and in return you get the insurance to deal with the value of your vehicle.

The cancellation of the insurance in the event of a total loss claim is not uncommon but they are only entitled to do that if it is in the terms and conditions which you agreed to when you took out the policy. You probably didn’t read it but you need to ask them which term it is which says that.

Im very sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your advice today. Thanks

No problem.

I am very sorry.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/