plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

What do I need to do to start the ball rolling on a divorce?

Hi . What do I need to do to start the ball rolling on a divorce? Do I actually need to physically meet with lawyers? I have three children and that’s pretty impossible for me at the minute!

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to assist you today.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I'm just reviewing your question.

Can you tell me what the ground for divorce will be (if you have got this far yet)?

For information - in the UK, the five accepted grounds are adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion, living apart for at least two years, and living apart for at least five years. Do you know which will apply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grounds will be unreasonable behaviour. Owing to my husband and I living completely separate lives and only coming together for the children.

Thank you for confirming. You can file this petition yourself without a solicitor. As you are filing under unreasonable behaviour you also don't have to wait for 2 years.

You can actually file online.

The link is here:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-divorce

You need to set up a government gateway account but it's quite straightforward.

The cost of filing is £550, but you can ask that your husband pays the costs of this (in the petition there is a question about this).

Can I clarify anything further today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you that’s very helpful!
Thanks for your time

My pleasure.

If you do have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, before you go today, if you could take just a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited by Just Answer for my time spent responding to your question for which I'd be very grateful. Without the rating I'm not paid by the site, so your rating is important to me.

Kind regards,

Peter