MrC
MrC, Lawyer
Experience:  LegalX
105439980

I would lie to know whether you have expertise in dealing

Hello. Yes I would lie to know whether you have expertise in dealing with education law?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Luxemburg but student at the Open universtiy in the uk.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am currently considering the steps to be taken and wanted to know whether a letter would be suitable as I am aware that my case considers the assessment policy. The goal is to back it up by the inability of the universtiy to provide assessment through examination due to covid. Thus it would not be able to provide adequate assessment (bias free). The university is indeed violating the contractul agreement of having to provide end o fyear examination.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see whether I would be able to assist.

What is the underlining issue with the university?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I just managed to read your reply as I had to pay for subscription which consumed time. I will briefly reply to the issue. Just give me a second please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No need to call right now.I will consider this option later.

We do not have to speak via phone. That was an automated system generated prompt. I will respond here to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The issue concerns a lower grading of an assignment. The issue is that the assignment has been marked lower than assumed. The reasons respectively mistakes suggested are gross and in many ways unreasonable ( downright false and suggest lack of academic credit). However, I am fully aware that a similar situation may apply as in the us which would basically permit the tutor who produced the assignment to be supported for his decisions due to academic freedom policy. Therefore his judgement would be accepted. On the other hand, the university was not able to provide the service as I agreed on paying the university to get graded but this grading includes examination (at a centre).However it was not provided due to covid.Thus my end of year grade would depend on the subjective judgement of a tutor instead of the required examination that would provide further evidence for my degree. The question is whether my argumentation is juristically sound ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the universtiy failed contractual agreement.

Please tell me in simple words what has happened? For example, is it that the university gave you a poor final grade? Did the university not give a final year exam? Are you being asked to repeat the year? I am trying to ascertain what has led to you seeking to challenge the university's decision?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grading sheme consists of 3 tutor marked assignments plus end of year examination. Both are to be considered in order to decide upon final grading. 1. Yes, the grading was comparably poor.
2. No, the universtiy did not provide a final year exam. Respectively they have cancelled the exam supposed to be held june 12.
3. No, I am not asked to repeat this year.
4. My assumption is that I may not be able to complain before any court for reasons of incorrect assessment. However, I may be able to plead that the university did not follow contractual agreement. Is it possible to consider this in order to pressure them to suggest a better grade ?

I believe this may be outside my area of expertise. I will therefore open this up for a more suitable expert to answer. Do not respond to this thread as in doing so you may delay the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No solicitor has been provided so far. Who am I supposed to contact to ask for furthr information ?
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find continuing a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Hello.

I have read your legal inquiry.

Your judgment might be reasonable and you might have a justified claim.

However, due to the Covid-19 situation and the exceptional circumstances, your argument might be rejected.

However, if it's super important to you, as I think it is, the law firm that I am part of might resolve the matter in your favor.

MrC, Lawyer
Experience: LegalX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , I did not visit in a while as I was searching for answer elsewhere. What is the name of your
law firm by the way ?