How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5122
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My son is 23 years old, he does not work, steals from our

Customer Question

My son is 23 years old, he does not work, steals from our Bank account, he threatens us, brings in his friends late at night (2 to 3 pm) which we do not know, they can bring this coroavirus into our home. Do i have any rights to evict him. I am 74 years old and my wife is 65, we are very worried.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No steps has been taken, I do not know my legal position to eveict him.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: Enfield borough London postal code n211nl
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, all we want is to live a normal llive
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will assist you today.

sorry to hear of your problems, let’s see hoe you can get this sorted and live a quiet life.

Your son living at home is not a tenant. He would be a lodger.

Give notice

Your adult children are not legally tenants, but "excluded occupiers." That means you do not need a court order to evict them, and just giving them notice can be sufficient. Keep a record of all communications, so sending a letter might be a good idea.

Taking action

If the notice period ends and your adult child does not leave, you can take action like changing the locks and putting his or her possessions outside (as long as they don't get damaged). Careful not to damage any of their possessions or use any violence, otherwise you could face legal action yourself.

Stealing money from your bank account is a criminal offence. You can if you choose, report that matter to the police, likewise his threats and harassment.
You could also report unauthorised money taken from your bank account to the bank, they could investigate and possible refund the funds.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he does not leave can i get a court order to remove him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will phone you tomorrow with my wife as part of the conversatiom
Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if he refuses to leave you can get a court order,

or, once he goes outside the property, you could lock him out and change the locks. He would not be allowed to break in, after notice period has ended, if he did, it would be burglary.

if you would like a call tomorrow and can set that ready. Could you accept answer by clicking on the start 5 star rating then it will reserve to me and we can then continue.

Expert:  james bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am just following up on yesterday’s messaging and to see if I can assist further.